Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sesame Street Goes Political

First off, as a disclaimer, I do not often get political, because I feel presumptuous speaking about politics in a black and white sort of way (and no, I'm not talking about race..."Is Obama black? I never noticed. I don't see people in terms of color" [Seinfeld reference]). There are so many factors involved in most issues, so while I do my best to understand them, I try not to be arrogant about my opinions.

That being said, Todd is much more bold in this respect than I am .

Claire wanted us to read the same Sesame Street story over, and over, wherein Cookie Monster makes a batch of cookies and every time he's about to eat one, someone comes over and takes one 'till they're all gone. Just in time, the buzzer on the oven rings and another batch is ready, Everyone is happy. The End.
Todd got sick of reading it the legitimate way, so he improvised:

In despair over the election results, Cookie Monster makes a batch of cookies (he's an emotional eater - don't you judge him) Just as he is about to take a bite, the doorbell rings.
It's Elmo! "Hey Cookie Monster! You made too many cookies for just yourself. You should share with me!" Cookie Monster shares with Elmo, and just as he is about to enjoy one of his hard-earned cookies, the doorbell rings again.
It's Zoe, the illegal immigrant. "Hey SeƱor Cookie Monster, I know I'm not supposed to come over, but I think it's only fair that you give me a cookie since I don't have any." Cookie Monster shares another cookie, because, after all, there are still two cookies left for him. But before he can even take a bite, the doorbell rings again.


In walk Bert and Ernie. "Hi there Cookie Monster! We don't have jobs or any responsibilities, but why should we make our own cookies when we can have yours? We just want to sit at home and go 'hee, hee, hee'." Cookie Monster reluctantly gives away his last two cookies.
Then, because he had no more cookies left for himself, Cookie Monster had to get a second job. The end.

13 comments:

Mark and Shauna said...

LOL- that is hilarious- I think Todd has found his calling- a political childrens book writer:)!

kg said...

That was funny. I share your same thoughts...

Mama Nirvana said...

He's wise to indoctrinate while they're young.

Amy

Lisa said...

Poor Claire. Todd's story hits close to home with its unfortunate realism, but I hope her favorite story wasn't ruined for her. Todd has always been good with the tongue in cheek!

Cami said...

HA!! SOoo funny! Also sad but true.

Cami said...

You forgot to start off with "let me share a story with you"(Barack Obama..get it?)....

---Daniel

Cami said...

That is great. I am also right there with you.

Kim said...

Oh I needed a good laugh! That is too funny, though sadly could become very true. I still don't know where you guys come up with this stuff, but keep it coming... it's very entertaining.

Amanda Davis said...

I loved it! I was hoping you would post it when you told me the story!!! I told Larry the story and he loved it too! I think you should send it some where. I am sure it would get some attention. I can't wait for the next installment of Todd's children's lit.

McRoberts Family said...

That almost makes me cry... it is funny but also too close to what actually is happening!

Denise G said...

Too true. I see Todd is already lining up his second job getting some children's lit written. We will be waiting to hear volume two from Todd.

Amanda Davis said...

I hadn't read your Todd speak for a long time! He is so stinking funny!

Anonymous said...

That is good! It's sad how true it is.

-Shanna