Sunday, March 9, 2008

Brooke and the Twins


Each of my kids has a special baby doll that is their favorite. Sophie has a little girl Lucy (who can eat, drink, pee and poo!). Janelle has a little boy named Sheldon. Unfortunately, Sheldon is probably going to get teased in the locker room after gym class for not having the right plumbing, but Janelle doesn't want to worry him about it just yet. Claire has a baby girl that she likes to push around in her little shopping cart or stroller, who she once threw out of the toy stroller so she could sit there herself, hoping I would get the hint and take her on a walk. And Brooke has the twins. They were sired by either a penguin, dalmation, panda bear, skunk, or Oreo cookie, but she'll go to her grave swearing to the father that they really are both his. Here is our conversation about her babies:
Mom: Who do you have there?
Brooke: My baby dolls.
M: What are their names?
B: Michelle and Claire. I got the name Claire from my baby sister, and Michelle I got from when Sophie told me her friend's name. I liked those two names. The one with the purple dress on is Michelle. The one with the leotard and skirt on is Claire.
M: What's special about those two babies?
B: They're twins.
M: How do babies get to be twins?
B: They are born on the same day. Some can be stuck together, some can look exactly the same, and some can look a little the same. Mine are a little different and a little the same.
M: Your cousin Andy and sister Claire were almost born on the same day. Could they have been twins?
B: No
M: Why not?
B: They can't if they have a different mom. But they can if they have the same mom and were born on the same day.
M: Do they have to have the same dad too?
B: Yes.
M: Who is Claire and Michelle's dad?
B: I don't know. They don't really have a dad. In the games they have a dad, but I play that he's on a big huge journey.
M: What do you imagine their dad looks like?
B: Probably same color of hair as my real dad, but not acting weird like my real dad. He's medium tall. He has brown eyes. His skin is in between color. Darkish lightish. He has straight hair, and he dresses not crazy and not too fancy, in the middle. His name is Justin.
M: Do your babies ever fight?
B: No. They're always smiling. And they always have lipstick on and for some reason they always get eyeshadow on too. They're always happy and they never cry.
M: What about when you drop them on their heads. Do they cry then?
B: No. Watch.
M: Do you want twins in real life when you grow up?
B: Yes.
M: Do you want your twins to be just like you and Janelle?
B: No. I want my twins to be just like my babies so they're never crying and I never have to listen to it.
M: Do you think you're going to be a good mom.
B: Yes.
M: How will you know how to be a mom?
B: I will be watching you.

11 comments:

Chris and Sarah said...

Just adorable! I can totally see your mind crankin' as you get ready to ask the next question.... how funny to read!!! You should have a sitcom.

Lisa said...

Alli, that is so funny! I can just picture her dropping her doll on its head to show you it doesn't cry. But, it sounds like the pressure is on if she will be watching you so she can be a good mom. :) (I know you are a good mom)

Kristin said...

I'm most interested in Justin. Is that her dream guy? You should have asked her who the inspiration for that name came from. She is so funny. I hope our kids are funny too. Anyways, good luck on teaching Brooke how to be a good mom :D

Cami said...

That is so cute. No pressure, to be a great example, huh!

Alli said...

In answer to Kristin - all kids say funny things, it just comes with the territory. You just have to remember what they are and write them down or you'll laugh once and forget about it. Do you know how many laughs I've gotten out of Brooke's wisdom "little kid bums are cute, but mommy and daddy bums are just big"? Probably 60 or 70 so far. Also, Justin is the name of a boy in her class. I don't think she has a crush on him or anything, he's just a nice kid and she likes the name. If I know her, she wouldn't have suggested a name she would be embarrassed by.

Kim said...

I love that kids don't care what color you are, too bad the world isn't like that. I also loved how she said she will be watching you. Too cute and really proves they do look to their parents to tell them how to be.

Amanda Davis said...

I love it! What a compliment that she knows you are a good enough mom to emulate!!! I just love your girls... one of them is sleeping on my bed right now!

Julia Shinkle said...

So cute! I thought the same thing that Cami did...Oh the pressure of it all. I know my kids are watching and taking notes. Avery will sigh in frustration the same exact way I do when things aren't going my way. (Bad Example) But she also talks to Bodie Man that same sweet way I do when he needs some attention. (Good Example) Thanks for sharing!

DORRPOSTS said...

I do SO wish there were blogs when we were raising our kidlets - I might remember more of the precious things that our five said and did. At the time I thought I'd remember their little quips forever, but it just isn't that way. Keep on blogging and recording their fun moments - they'll love you for it some day (after they get over being mad at the fact that the whole world was reading about them while they were growing up!) :-)

laura said...

My favorite line: "but not acting weird like my real dad" ! That is just great! The whole thing made me laugh out loud! I have the hardest time remembering what my two say...I think I need a recorder with me all the time. You have such a great way of capturing them!

Anonymous said...

That was HALLARIOUS! My favorite part was when Brooke said "I am watching you.