Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Discourse on Fashion

Not that I really care about fashion that much, but someone’s got to explain to me what teenagers are thinking nowadays (Is that what our parents said about my generation? Probably.) I sub at the local middle school from time to time, and have seen the same outfit with minor variations for the past couple of years: ill-fitting “skinny” jeans paired with an ugly printed hoodie sweatshirt. Oh, and don’t forget the huge skater shoes, and that’s on the girls.


When I was in high school, it was all about the grunge look: baggy pants and an oversized flannel. I took grunge to a new level personally, not ever wearing makeup and often pulling my hair into a pony tail without so much as combing it first. I’m surprised I didn’t start to get dreadlocks. Notwithstanding the gross quality of that look, I can still see the wisdom in it. It was comfortable and had a full-coverage quality about it. Bodysuits were a short-lived trend during that time, short-lived I think because it violated those two basic principles. Also, who wants snaps in their crotch?

Even in the Seventies – notorious for bad fashion – there is some sense to the look. Bellbottoms and jumpsuits elongated the silhouette. These one-piece suits were heinous, but at least they were convenient. There were some nasty plaids during that time, but as plaids are back in style, it looks like we’re falling for that one all over again. (Actually, I really like that jumper, and I'm kind of diggin' that diagonal striped sweater too.)

But nowadays, I don't see any sense in the styles. They’re not comfortable – jeans that tight can’t possibly be. They’re not full-coverage – I’ve seen too many cracks to believe that. And they don’t do much for the silhouette of a female. It's just not the least bit attractive. I mean, who wants to look like Spongebob Squarepants?
On the up-side though, it’s GOT to cut down on teenage pregnancies, right?

8 comments:

Kim said...

I'm glad someone is finally speaking out about the horrible fashions of today...I don't even enjoy shopping for clothes anymore because the fashion is way out there...Who looks good in it? Maybe your right, we may see a drop in teen pregnancy, ha, ha.

Denise G said...

Anna loved having you as a sub. She came home and told me she behaved horribly for you. I hope she was kidding, by the extremes she used while telling me, otherwise I hope I will be getting a call from you soon.

I can't remember all she said, but it went something like this. She was bossing you around, telling you to do this and that. Eventually you gave up and just sent her to the office. I know there was a bunch more, but I really can't remember it. She was smiling the whole time, so I really hope she was joking.

As for fashion sense. I have to remind myself, that indeed I did roll my pant legs in middle school. The low cut jeans I really don't get. It is getting hard to buy pants. There are limit store to shop at and ..... (well enough said)

Kelli said...

Tottally agree! I was just commenting to Lance about some of his students. Its horrible! Hey how do you like subbing? Im thinking of doing it next year.

Amanda Davis said...

I totally agree!!! With the past and present. I wasn't a grunge girl in my past days but I did roll my pants and wear 2 pairs of socks... I don't look forward to shoping for my girls as they get older! I already hate the t shirts that they have for kids that have sassy sayings on them! I don't want my kids talking like that, trying to stop them from talking like that why would I pay money for them to wear a rude shirt?

Jared and Lydia said...

Happy Mothers day.
Love ya Lydia

Lydia Moon said...

LOL! I'm cracking up. One of my favorite ironies is the fashions I observe on high school students. The boys wear clothes that are about two (or more) sizes too big. Baggy shirts, baggy pants that won't stay up so you have to clutch them as you "swagger" down the hall. And the girls wear clothes that are about two sizes too small. Skinny jeans that give you a "muffin top" even when you have not fat on your body. Come on! I don't get it! But it is somewhat amusing to observe as an "old" person.

Julia Shinkle said...

I am wondering what is the deal with skinny jeans on the boys...yuck! I still see some boys wearing the baggy pants that are falling off at their hips....and when they walk they look like a toddler with a full diaper!

By the way I am using photoshop elements.

Anonymous said...

I HATE SKINNY JEANS! They are nasty on girls and boys.. Ickkkk!