Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"One" - Not So Lonely If You're Janelle

Janelle told me at dinner today all the things she can do if she's in a time-out in her room all by herself. She's quite adept at entertaining herself, I've found. Our conversation went something like this:

Janelle: I can still have fun in my room, Mom, even when I'm in time out. I'm very good at entertaining myself.
Mom: The only thing you're allowed to do is read though. So what else can you do?
J: Sometimes I run laps around my room for excercise. Or I pretend I'm racing someone.
M: You find that fun, do you?
J: Yeah! Also sometimes I turn around in a circle to get myself dizzy and pretend the room is spinning around me.
M: Oooh, fun!
J: And I can play hide and seek with myself.
M: Ummm...how?
J: Well, I hide somewhere until I fall asleep and forget where I am, then when I wake up, I have to figure it out.
M: Alright, what else do you do?
J: I have races with myself.
M: Who wins?
J: Well, I'll pick a starting place and a finishing place and walk, and whichever leg gets to the finishing place first wins.
M: Wow! You're more fun than a barrell of monkeys!
J: [blank stare]......I don't get it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think those are creative ideas! I have to admit, sending me to my room was never really much of a punishment either - I kind of enjoyed it :)

Jef said...

that was awesome and sorry for keeping todd away so long on a sunday.